Tag Archives: advertising

Defending “the social order” by force of arms?

Most Hungarian journalists and even opposition politicians find what’s going on in Budapest at the moment highly amusing. The City of Budapest dismantles a dozen advertising kiosks, which workmen hired by Mahir Cityposter, a firm owned in part by Lajos Simicska, then replace with brand new ones. This is not, however, something that one ought to find funny or entertaining. What’s going on is further proof that Hungary is no longer a country of law. The Orbán government can do whatever it wants to those who are in its way. And Lajos Simicska is very much in Viktor Orbán’s way. He must be destroyed.

In 2006 Mahir signed a 25-year contract with the City of Budapest which gave it the right to set up 780 cylinder-shaped kiosks in the busiest parts of the city. Because the investment was substantial, Mahir negotiated a contract that couldn’t be broken before the date of its expiration. I cannot decide whether the contract was disadvantageous from the city’s point of view, but for ten years the city fathers found no fault with it. Last fall, however, they decided that the contract was so shamefully drafted in favor of Mahir that decency and good conscience (jóerkölcs) might be issues here. Sometime in September the city council, with a huge Fidesz majority, voted overwhelmingly to break the contract with Mahir as of October 31. They gave Mahir 60 days to remove all kiosks. If it fails to do so, they said, the city itself will do the job, starting in January 2016.

The inspiration for this late discovery of the foul nature of the contract undoubtedly came from the prime minister, who ever since March has been trying to ruin his old friend Lajos Simicska because Simicska humiliated him, called him all sorts of names, and, above all, was no longer willing to use his media empire in the service of the government. Simicska’s company, Közgép, which previously had received fantastic government contracts financed primarily by the European Union, was put on the government’s black list and, in fact, some of its projects that were under construction have been suspended. The latest chapter in this struggle is “kiosk gate.” We can be pretty sure that István Tarlós, mayor of Budapest, received a telephone call one day and was instructed to get rid of Simicska’s Mahir. Tarlós and 19 Fidesz members of the city council obliged.

Hard at work

Hard at work

It always surprises me how inept opposition politicians can be when it comes to realizing the significance of some of Viktor Orbán’s moves. For example, Csaba Horváth (MSZP) said: “they should conduct this Fidesz in-fighting among themselves and, if it is at all possible, they shouldn’t entertain either the public or the city council with them.” I must say that an unnamed journalist of stop.hu is much more sophisticated politically than Horváth because he captured the essence of this so-called “in-fighting” when he wrote: “Now Lajos Simicska can really see what kind of a country he and his former friend built. If necessary, the government will get even with those who are in the prime minister’s way even if it means disregarding the law. The only difference between Simicska and the average Joe is that the CEO of Közgép became a billionnaire from government investments. While Simicska fights his prestige battles with loose change, Everyman is fighting for his life.”

Mahir Cityposter’s legal defense is in good hands. Simicska hired György Magyar, an able lawyer. As far as he is concerned, the case is clear-cut. Immediately after the city council voted to break the contract, he filed suit against the city of Budapest. As far as he knows, the case will be heard on January 11. Until then, every action taken in this case is illegal. However, a new pro-government website, factor.hu, claims that Mahir’s request for a postponement of the removal of the kiosks was denied on December 12. The only problem is that Mahir’s lawyer knows nothing about this. Perhaps these discrepancies will be cleared up in the next few days. At this point it is useless delving into the details of the case. The immediate reaction of Orbán’s minions is much more interesting and telling.

The very fact that Mahir didn’t take what it is considered to be an illegal action lying down angered those who feel compelled to defend their master. Máté Kocsis, the mayor of District VIII who has been mentioned as the possible next lord mayor of Budapest, suggested police action to ensure the removal of the kiosks. He also threatened the company Mahir hired to guard the kiosks with the withdrawal of its operating license. György Bakondi, chief adviser to Viktor Orbán who made himself ridiculous during the refugee crisis, happily agreed that “public security and social order” might be maintained by armed forces. The word he actually used was “karhatalom,” which has a horrible connotation in Hungarian. After the failed Hungarian Revolution in 1956 the newly installed Kádár regime recruited civilians who were ready to support the new government to patrol the streets, arms in hand. These people were called “karhatalmisták.” Their task was to defend the “social order.” As one newspaper rightly pointed out, Bakondi slept through 27 years. He still thinks he is in the People’s Democracy of Hungary.

What is really frightening is the talk about “public security” and the defense of “social order.” At the moment Orbán and Company want to save the social order from Simicska and they have gone to war against him but, as László Seres pointed out in HVG today, “Who is interested in Simicska? This is a declaration of war. Against all of us, just for your information.” Indeed, whatever one thinks of Simicska, let’s not forget that what is happening to him can happen to any Hungarian.

Fidesz, the Chief Prosecutor’s Office, and a Hungarian neo-Nazi site

The infamous neo-Nazi website Kuruc-info is in the news again. It was a year ago that I reported that Kuruc-info placed a blood bounty on everyone who participated in a flash mob demonstration at the time of the revelations about László Csatáry, a former police officer in charge of the Košice/Kassa Jewish ghetto in the summer of 1944. You may also recall that a man who lived in California at the time and who allegedly secured the American server Kuruc.info uses himself offered money to anyone who could provide information about the identity of the persons involved in the demonstration. Informers were offered 100,000 forints. Once some of the participants were identified, harassment via telephone and e-mail began. One of these messages read: “If I were you, I would take out life insurance.”

Eszter Garai-Édler, one of the organizers, filed a complaint on September 9, 2012 in connection with the case. After she was called in as a witness on January 18, 2013, the district prosecutor’s office ended its investigation. Garai-Édler filed another complaint, after which the case was reopened only to end on October 15 in a ruling that declared that the investigation was terminated. The reason was the same old story about why Kuruc.info cannot be shut down:

According to the information at our disposal, it can be determined that the Kuruc.info website operates on servers based in the United States of America. As such, it can be stated that the criminal act and the uploading of the web content in question occurred in the United States as well. Seeing that Kuruc.info operates off of a server found in the US, any determinations surrounding the site’s content fall outside the competence of the police. Due to differences between legal interpretations of the two countries, proceedings cannot begin in the US against the operators of the website.

Of course, this is nonsense. Uploading can occur anywhere in the world, and in the case of kuruc.info it is almost 100% certain that the editors are busily working on their computers in Hungary.

A few years back a former editor of Kuruc.info identified three men who are allegedly in charge of Kuruc.info. All three live in Budapest. The prosecutors claim to have investigated the role of a certain Balázs Molnár, one of the editors, but they said they couldn’t make their case. Another editor is apparently Előd Novák, a Jobbik member of parliament.

Kuruc.info obviously feels emboldened. A Hungarian journalist, András Dezső, discovered a huge billboard advertising Kuruc.info at a prominent place on the busy Budaörsi út.

the infamous billboard on Budaörsi út / Index

The infamous billboard on Budaörsi út / Index

Dezső immediately began his own investigation. He eventually tracked down the company that owns the billboard and inquired about the people who rented the advertising space. He was told to put his request in writing, which he did, foolishly adding his cell phone number. A few days later he was informed that the billboard will be taken down. And then came the surprise. Dezső discovered the contents of his e-mail to the company, including his e-mail address and telephone number, on kuruc.info. The poor guy’s life became sheer hell. Kuruc-info’s troll kept phoning him constantly and his e-mail box was overflowing. Dezső works for Index where this morning he published the story of his encounter with Kuruc-info.

The billboard company, Hungaroplakát, could certainly help the police and the prosecutors “solve” the mysterious case of Kuruc-info. That is, if they wanted to. Garai-Édler also came to the conclusion that “the Hungarian government has decided that it will protect Kuruc.info” for political reasons. Fidesz needs votes from the extreme right and doesn’t want to alienate the hundreds and thousands who are faithful readers of this neo-Nazi rag.

The real problem here is not so much what Kuruc.info trolls are doing to the journalist, because that is expected. What is really troublesome is that an employee of a bona fide company that has been in operation since 1998 is capable of giving official company correspondence to the neo-Nazis who publish Kuruc-info. HVG, the paper for which András Dezső used to work, inquired from Hungaroplakát about this latest outrage. They were told that the management of the firm is in the process of consulting with the company’s lawyers.

Enter Tamás Deutsch, the enfant terrible of Fidesz. He loves Facebook and Twitter and frequently uses these platforms to criticize the opposition, often with obscene language. But this time he attacked the Hungarian prosecutors for doing nothing about Kuruc-info which in his opinion operates illegally. He gave the Prosecutor’s Office 72 hours “to put an end to this Nazi website. No more evasion. No more on the one hand and on the other. Stand up on your hind legs and act.”

The spokesman of the Chief Prosecutor’s Office, Géza Fazekas, announced that, although his office doesn’t normally respond to utterances of politicians, Deutsch’s statements are simply untrue. The prosecutors did investigate Kuruc.info. Moreover, they did it several times but  they couldn’t bring charges against the editors of the site because the “United States during the fall of 2007 refused the seizure of the server referring to the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.”

So we are back exactly where we were six years ago even though the physical location of the server has nothing to do with the case. I fear that even the billboard advertisement will not be enough for the prosecutors, who obviously believe that it is not in the interest of Fidesz, which practically runs the Hungarian prosecutor’s office, to put an end to Kuruc.info.